Saturday, February 16, 2008

Some photos of last years flora and fauna









This is a very exciting place to live if you are interested in wild flowers, insects and experimenting with plants in your garden. The garden here as I have mentioned looked just like a concrete jungle, with hard baked clay and rocks. I took good advice from those who have gardened here before and decided to concentrate on plants which I have seen growing in other peoples gardens. To date I have probably spent about £600 on plants and havent even scratched the surface! This was our Plumbago which was covered in flowers on the terrace last summer but which looks now as though it is probably "done for" with the frost. They do say that these plants can recover from the base so we will just have to wait and see. I have also got an evergreen honeysuckle, we had the same variety in England and it is also prolific in Greece, and a jasmine. I was warned not to even try Bougainvillea but I bought a baby from the local supermarket and it gave us a lovely show last year, it has spent the winter wrapped up in garden fleece and I discovered the other day that there is still life after the frosts (which are not over yet), so fingers crossed for this summer.


Whilst out walking with Eddie, our Jack Russell, I was lucky to find an Swallowtail Butterfly just drying out its wings and got a rather good photo. We also found an ENORMOUS Emperor moth on the garage wall one day which was also rather photogenic and later in the year we found the caterpillar of the same moth. What a whopper!
So to sum up the garden, I have planted several roses because they really seem to grow well here. I have one or two trees including olives, a bottle brush plant, clematis, palms, lavender and several oleander bushes which we hope will form a hedge and protect us from the wind when we are supping the vino on the terrace.








No comments: